THINGS TO DO ON MONHEGAN ISLAND
GALLERIES AND ARTISTS
Local Monhegan artists open their galleries and studios daily to display and sell their work. Gallery and studio hours vary. Be sure to pick-up a listing of artists and their hours once you’re on the island or click here for more information.
- Donna Cundy Studio
- Lupine Gallery ~ At the top of Wharf Hill Road. Sells and represents many Island artists. We highly recommend a stop in here for a good overview of island talent.
- Edison Studio ~ Located on Lighthouse Hill.
- Alison Hill Studio ~ Located on Lobster Cove Road.
- Cat Bates Jewelry ~ Available at Edison Studio.
For more information about the many wonderful artists, studios and galleries on Monhegan, please visit artmonhegan.com.
MONHEGAN ISLAND ART MUSEUM
The Monhegan Island Historical and Cultural Museum now operates the Art Museum in the rebuilt assistant-keeper’s house next to the lighthouse. The exhibits change every season and have all been spectacular displays of Monhegan-associated artists, some of fame and many not. The museum is open from July through September. Check for specific hours.
MONHEGAN ISLAND HISTORICAL & CULTURAL MUSEUM
Housed in the light keeper’s house built in 1874, the museum is dedicated to the history, culture and wildlife of Monhegan Island. The museum is run by the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association.
Preserving our open spaces is a priority for many people in this area. There are 100’s of acres of beautiful public and private lands set aside for our enjoyment. Please visit the sites below for maps and directions to many of the trails in the area.
Monhegan Wellness, Tara Hire
Whether you are shopping for souvenirs, original artwork or a gourmet delight, Monhegan offers a variety of unique shops, galleries and markets.
- The Barnacle – On the dock. Tee shirts, sweat shirts, gifts for the home and kids!
- The Black Duck Emporium – Village center. Pottery, books, children gifts, games, unique gifts and souvenirs.
- The Lupine Gallery – At the top of Wharf Hill Road. Specializing in resident Monhegan Artists and Monhegan Art.
- Elva’s Old Post Office Shop – Top of Wharf Hill Road. Eclectic array of gift items ~ Tee shirts, sweat shirts to gadgets and gizmos.
- Winter Works – At the top of Wharf Hill Road. Cooperative outlet for creative works of island residents.