Galleries and Artists
Local Monhegan artists open their galleries and studios daily to display and sell their work. Gallery and studio hours vary. Be sure to pick-up a listing of artists and their hours once you’re on the island or click here for more information.
- Donna Cundy Studio
- Lupine Gallery ~ At the top of Wharf Hill Road. Sells and represents many Island artists. We highly recommend a stop in here for a good overview of island talent.
- Edison Studio ~ Located on Lighthouse Hill.
- Alison Hill Studio ~ Located on Lobster Cove Road.
- Cat Bates Jewelry ~ Available at Edison Studio.
- Mike Stiler Art ~ Available at Lupine Gallery.
For more information about the many wonderful artists, studios and galleries on Monhegan, please visit artmonhegan.com.
Purchasing a trail map onboard helps to support Monhegan Associates, who care for the wild lands of Monhegan and maintain the 12 miles of trails that wind their way through the beautiful Monhegan wilderness. View the majestic headland cliffs, rare plants and flowers, and the unspoiled cathedral forest. The trail map helps guide you to the public trails and away from private property.
We recommend Lobster Cove to visit the shipwreck of the D.T. Sheridan, the Cathedral Woods and the dramatic cliffs of Black Head or White Head.
More information about hiking on Monhegan here.
Monhegan Island Light
Built in 1824 and then rebuilt in 1850, the 38-foot granite tower is now solar-powered and still in operation. Monhegan Island Light stands 178 feet above sea level. It is the second highest lighthouse in Maine after Seguin Island Light.
Monhegan Island Historical & Cultural Museum
Housed in the light keeper’s house built in 1874, the museum is dedicated to the history, culture and wildlife of Monhegan Island. The museum is run by the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association.
Monhegan Island Art Museum
The Monhegan Island Historical and Cultural Museum now operates the Art Museum in the rebuilt assistant-keeper’s house next to the lighthouse. The exhibits change every season and have all been spectacular displays of Monhegan-associated artists, some of fame and many not. The museum is open from July through September. Check for specific hours.
- Monhegan Wellness, Tara Hire
Whether you are shopping for souvenirs, original artwork or a gourmet delight, Monhegan offers a variety of unique shops, galleries and markets.
- The Barnacle – On the dock. Tee shirts, sweat shirts, gifts for the home and kids!
- The Black Duck Emporium – Village center. Pottery, books, children gifts, games, unique gifts and souvenirs.
- The Lupine Gallery – At the top of Wharf Hill Road. Specializing in resident Monhegan Artists and Monhegan Art.
- Elva’s Old Post Office Shop – Top of Wharf Hill Road. Eclectic array of gift items ~ Tee shirts, sweat shirts to gadgets and gizmos.
- Winter Works – At the top of Wharf Hill Road. Cooperative outlet for creative works of island residents.